Licensing regulations are set by each individual state. Programs that are licensed must meet the State’s minimum standards. Each state defines which types of child care arrangements must be licensed.
Office of Early Childhood Division of Licensing is responsible for licensing child care programs.
- Visits and inspects programs on a regular basis
- Office of Early Childhood Division of Licensing is mandated by state regulations to conduct inspections of licensed facilities at least every two years.
- Office of Early Childhood Division of Licensing is mandated by state statutes to conduct inspections of approximately one third of the licensed family day care homes each year
- Conducts unannounced inspections
- These visits are generally unannounced and documented on an inspection report form
- Investigates complaints
- State statutes indicate that any person having reasonable cause to believe that a family day care home, child day care center or group day care home is operating without a current and valid license or in violation of the regulations or in a manner which may pose a potential danger to the health, welfare and safety of a child receiving child day care services, may report such information to the department. Complaints may be filed by contacting the Office of Early Childhood Division of Licensing (Contact Info) A series of questions will be asked to gather information that will assist the department in conducting a thorough investigation.
- Conducts background checks on providers (and household members for family child care.)
- The Commissioner of Early Childhood may refuse to license child care centers, group child care homes or family child care homes based on a conviction of a felony or on a criminal record. For more details, please click below.
- List of crimes that make a provider ineligible
Licensing status and complaint history of providers is accessible on-line. The system allows the public to conduct on-line searches for child care providers.
Click here to find the following information on the State of Connecticut eLicensing Website
- License Number
- License Type
- License Status
- License Issue Date
- Total Capacity
- Date of Last Inspection
- Substantiated Complaint/Incident History
- Type of violation
- Resolution action
- Quality Enhancement History