- What is your educational background and/or experiences caring for young children?
- What do you hope to gain from this experience?
- What is your philosophy on child care (e.g. toileting, discipline, biting, etc)?
- What do you find most rewarding about working with children?
- What do you find most challenging when working with children?
- How do you handle/balance stress in your life?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with an emergency.
- Give me an example of a healthy meal you would serve my child.
- Tell me about a time in your childhood that you remember being happy. What was it and why did it make you feel that way?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- What might a typical day with my child look like?
- Do you have current certifications in CPR/First Aid/other?
- Do you smoke?
- Would you allow me to run a criminal background check and Department of Motor Vehicle check?
- Can I have the names and contact information of three references that have seen you work with children?
If your child is an infant, you can ask the following:
- Would you pick up the baby whenever he/she cries?
- What would you do if the baby did not stop crying?
- What are some ways you would get the baby settled and/or sleeping?
- Are you aware of SIDS and how a child should be placed for sleep?
- Do you think the baby should be held when fed?
- Where might you take the baby for outdoor time?
If your child is a toddler, you can ask the following:
- How do you think toilet training should be handled?
- How would you respond if my child was having a temper tantrum?
- What are some of your favorite nursery rhymes, children’s songs and books?
- How would you respond if my child refused to eat a meal you prepared for them?
- What activities would you do on a rainy day?
If your child is a preschooler, you can ask the following:
- What do you see as a typical day with my child?
- What would you do if my child misbehaved?
- What types of activities do you think my child would enjoy?
- What are some of your favorite children’s books for this age?
If your child is school age, you can ask the following:
- How would you feel about being responsible for my child’s friends when they come over to play?
- How would you feel about driving my child to activities?
- What are some activities you enjoy doing with older children?
- What would you do if my child wanted alone time?
- How would you handle computer/TV/video game time?
- How would you handle it if my child did not want to do homework?
- What is your experience with sibling rivalry and how would you handle it?